Wildlife Rehabilitation Veterinarian - Omaha, NE
Job Title: Wildlife Veterinarian
Position Type: Full-time
Employment Status: Exempt
Compensation: Negotiable, based on experience
Benefits: Health, Vision, Dental, 401(k)
Application Deadline: March 5, 2022 (Interviews may begin earlier)
Position Start Date: Negotiable on or after April 1, 2022
Location: Omaha, NE
Established in 1999, Nebraska Wildlife Rehab (NWR) receives 6,000-7,000 wild animals per
year for rehabilitation and release and is involved in numerous educational and research
pursuits. In late 2021 NWR opened the Baldwin Wildlife Center, a new 15,000 sf facility in
Omaha, NE with a fully-equipped, state-of-the-art veterinary hospital and lab. NWR is now
seeking its first staff veterinarian.
The Wildlife Veterinarian will be responsible for the medical assessment, treatment, and care of
wildlife received by NWR. They will be the only full-time staff veterinarian at the Baldwin Wildlife
Center and will report to the Executive Director. This is an opportunity to build a professional,
innovative veterinary program in a large wildlife rehabilitation facility with ample room for growth.
The position will generally be 5 days per week, including some weekends and holidays, with
some scheduling flexibility. In case of emergency, Veterinarian may periodically be called for
assessment or procedure.
● Perform triage and stabilization of incoming native wildlife, including mammals, birds,
● Complete intake exams on new arrival animals and prescribe treatment plans.
● Complete rechecks in a timely manner.
● Conduct rounds with animal care staff and formulate treatment plans for ongoing cases.
● Supervise veterinary technician and others working in the veterinary hospital.
● Perform surgical procedures on wildlife including trauma and orthopedic repair.
● Utilize diagnostic equipment to fully assess patients, including x-ray, CT, blood
● Research and utilize advanced wound and other rehabilitative treatments.
● Maintain accurate and current medical records.
● Supervise and train staff members and interns on medication administration.
● Communicate with staff members about ongoing cases
● Maintain inventory of controlled substances and assist in ordering medical supplies for
the Wildlife Center.
● Develop and adapt NWR protocols for medical treatment of native wildlife.
● Assist with on-going research projects
● Collaborate on future medical and post-release studies
● Assist in developing partnership programs, including with veterinary, technician and
other university programs.
Education, Experience & Other Requirements:
● DVM degree
● Valid Nebraska Veterinary Medical License or ability to obtain one required
● A minimum of 2 years as a veterinarian in Wildlife Rehabilitation facility required
● A minimum of 2 years of general and orthopedic surgery experience required
● Familiarity with common wildlife diseases and disorders.
● Personnel management experience preferred.
● Rabies pre-exposure and COVID-19 vaccines and booster required.
● High interest and ability to learn how to use new equipment and procedures to provide
optimal care to wildlife patients.
● Proficient with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel), Outlook, and other web-based programs
● Ability to operate a personal computer, word processing software, copy machine, and
answer telephones in the prescribed manner.
● Superior interpersonal and communication skills required.
● Self-starting, organized, and innovative
● A desire to help people, as well as animals
● Demonstrated professionalism and flexibility - NWR is a fast-paced and changing
● Requires level-headed problem solving and an aversion to drama.
● Ability to lift up to 40 lbs
● Ability to hike over uneven ground for field rescues or releases.
● Veterinarian will assist in interviewing and hiring a veterinary technician.
● State licensing and DEA license fees paid
Please submit your CV and cover letter to:
Laura Stastny, Executive Director
Nebraska Wildlife Rehab, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Background checks are
conducted for all employees and are a requirement for employment.