Avian Care Attendant
The Ottawa Valley Wild Bird Care Centre, located in Ottawa, ON, Canada, is seeking applicants for two Avian Care Attendant Positions (Start date - May 9th, 2022).
Each year, the Ottawa Valley Wild Bird Care Centre assesses, treats, and rehabilitates over 4,000 injured, ill, or orphaned wild birds for the purpose of releasing them back to their natural habitat. Avian Care Attendants work in a fast-paced, wildlife hospital environment performing a variety of duties. These are full time, term positions (35-40hours/week) to support the avian care team during the busy summer months (May-August).
Avian Care Attendant duties include:
• Accepts a wild bird for treatment, accurately recording information provided by rescuers;
• Complies with proper aseptic techniques to avoid contamination and spread of pathogens;
• Cleans and maintains cages, habitat enclosures, and rehabilitation areas;
• Prepares species appropriate diets as directed;
• Provides daily feedings of nestlings, fledglings and adult wild birds as directed;
• Responds to public inquiries by phone and in-person, directing such inquires appropriately as required; and
• Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications, Skills and Personal Characteristics:
• Ability to work in a fast-paced, stressful environment;
• Ability to adapt and learn new skills;
• High level attention to detail, with the ability to organize tasks;
• Effective verbal and written communication skills;
• Ability to lift a minimum of 40 lbs (18 kg); and
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively.
Temporary, as set out in the employee contract.
If you are interested in learning about wild birds and getting a hands-on experience in wildlife rehabilitation this summer, please send you resume and cover letter to the attention of Sandra Sawers, Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org.