North Island Wildlife Recovery Centre is a wildlife rehabilitation centre.
The North Island Wildlife Recovery Association (NIWRA) Intern will enjoy a unique opportunity to be part of a team supporting the work of a world class wildlife rehabilitation and education facility on beautiful Vancouver Island. The NIWRA intern will further their own growth by learning, sharing and applying new skills that enhance daily operations at the Centre.
• Open to both international and local applicants
• Position requires a 4-week minimum work period
• Accommodation (rustic camper - shared) can be provided to out-of-town applicants
Duties: Volunteers and interns are the backbone of our organization. The position works under the direction and support of the Animal Care staff. It includes enclosure cleaning, food preparation (raw meat is processed and fed so no weak stomachs allowed!), feeding, laundry, participating in maintenance projects and interacting and educating visitors. There is no standard workday in wildlife rehabilitation, which creates a stimulating and interesting opportunity.
• Provide excellent care to all non-releasable and rehabilitation animals
• Assist with evaluating patient progress and release eligibility
• Assist with restraint, exams and treatment of animals
• Admit patients and accurately complete associated paperwork
• Occasionally assist with euthanasia
• Maintain high standards of cleanliness in hospital, kitchen and animal housing areas
Requirements: This rewarding position requires a mature person that works well within a team and independently and can readily adapt to changing circumstances. It is physically demanding and requires attention to detail.
• Must be able to communicate fluently in English
• Must be at least 19 years of age
• Must have medical insurance
• Must have a Tetanus vaccination
• Must be able to work in all weather conditions
• Must be able to lift/carry up to 50 lbs (work is quite physical and moderately labour intensive)
• Must be able to work 5 days a week with 2 consecutive days off
• Must be reliable and dependable
• Previous wildlife rehabilitation or animal handling experience is an asset, but not strictly required
INTERNSHIPS ARE STRICTLY VOLUNTEER POSITIONS. YOU WILL NOT BE PAID ANY MONIES OR EXPENSES, BUT YOU WILL RECEIVE ACCOMODATIONS IF YOU ARE FROM OUT-OF-TOWN. (You may have to share accommodations with another intern)
You must supply your own food.
If you are NOT a Canadian Citizen, you must have financial means/credit card/cash in case you need to go to a medical clinic. North Island Wildlife Recovery Association will not be responsible for medical expenses.
Internships are a minimum 4 weeks or more in length.
For more information on North Island Wildlife Recovery Association: www.niwra.org
Please email cover letter, availability dates, resume, 2 references and at least one letter of recommendation to firstname.lastname@example.org attention: Joyce Lee. Please write Animal Care Intern Position in the subject line.
We appreciate all applications, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
We reserve the right to close the vacancies early depending on the number of applications received, so encourage you to submit your details as soon as possible if you are interested.