WILDNorth is a non-partisan, charitable organization that provides compassionate care for injured and orphaned wildlife and educates the public on the importance of wildlife in our community. We provide a high standard of care to a wide variety of native and migratory species. Approximately 80% of our patients are wild birds (waterfowl, birds of prey, songbirds) and 20% mammals (squirrels, porcupines, fox ).
We are seeking people with good computing/IT background who have some knowledge of wildlife and work well alone or in a team environment, to assist us in maintaining our database information during our spring/summer season.
Time Period: April – September
Number of Positions Available: 2 – 3
Hours: 20 hrs/week
Minimum Commitment: 3 months
Start dates: April 1, June 1
Working under the supervision of the Director of Wildlife Services or appropriately identified staff, interns will be entering information from both our wildlife patient charts into our databases. Interns will be monitoring for errors in spelling and taxonomy; inputting missed data by cross-checking with written records as well as creating simple descriptive statistics for weekly/monthly in-house reports.
Interns will be working out of the WILDNorth Wildlife Hospital at 12515 – 128 Street, Edmonton. City transit is available near the hospital (within walking distance).
Positions will start in April and June and require a minimum of 20 hours per week with a 3 month commitment. All positions are voluntary. No salary is offered.
· Must be 18 years of age or older
· Must provide references
· Experience or coursework in: Computer Science , Microsoft Excel and Access
· Basic statistics background an asset
· Biology or animal medicine background an asset
· Good communication and interpersonal skills & ability to communicate to other non-computer literate people
· Ability to work independently and as a team member
· Criminal record check
Benefits & Skill development for the Intern
· Further your career or educational goals
· Orientation and training provided
· Learning job skills and team work
· Mentorship and friendships with like-minded people
· Improve data entry skills
· Certificate of completion of internship provided