Looking to gain experience with native Illinois wildlife, including foxes, coyotes, and birds of prey? The Fox Valley Wildlife Center in Elburn, IL accepts 2,000-3,000 injured and orphaned wild animals per year, and is looking for qualified interns to assist in our mission of helping wildlife in need through a unique, hands-on experience.
In addition to learning basic responsibilities of daily care and operations at the center, interns will work alongside staff to gain experience and knowledge about triage and providing medical care. Interns should be comfortable with:
• Feeding animals (babies to adults)
• Daily maintenance that includes cleaning, dishes and laundry
• Speaking with the public when performing intake administration
• Working with and handling wild animals (this includes contact with animal urine and feces)
• Observing, learning about and assisting with cases of severe illness or trauma
• Working in a fast-paced and intense environment
• Physical demands that include long periods of standing, bending, stretching, having quick reflexes
Interns are unpaid and work 10-30 hours a week for 150 hours total. Most of our interns work May through August, but we need interns as early as March and as late as October. We accept a maximum of 12 interns at a time. Prior animal care experience is helpful but not necessary. Unfortunately, we are unable to provide housing for interns at this time.
To apply, please fill out the application and upload your resume and cover letter at www.fvwc.org/get-involved/become-an-intern/. You must be at least 18 years old to apply. We work with any higher education facility to help obtain course credit. The earlier you apply, the better!