Wildlife Legislations in South America

Generally there are no official national certification requirements for rehabbers or individual permits. However, each country has their own legislation for obtaining permits to open and maintain rehabilitation centers.


If you would like to open a rehabilitation center you are not required to take any courses or undertake any training, even though it’s encouraged to have a veterinarian on staff. Colombia is an exception; in order to become a rehabilitator you are required to go through an exam taken by the “National Learning Service NLS” (Servicio Nacional de Aprendizaje SENA). To take the exam, you must have a minimum of 6 months of experience, and it is valid for two years.  To know more, visit here (in Spanish).


The NLS also has a graduate course called “Technical in animal health with focus on wildlife”, and together with other institutions you can also obtain training in “zoo keeping” or “care of wildlife in captivity”.